Keys to Literacy Comprehension Coach Training
training to become a school peer coach for The Key Comprehension Routine
Welcome and thank you for your interest in taking this online course! Below you will find information about the course, including a course syllabus and answers to frequently asked questions. We estimate that this course will take approximately 11 hours to complete. Once finished, you will receive a Certificate of Completion indicating the number of hours you put into the course. If you have any questions, please email us: [email protected]
Enjoy the course! Joan Sedita, Founder of Keys to Literacy
This course is appropriate for any educator who is preparing to be a peer coach in their school or district for The Key Comprehension Routine. The course provides background knowledge about peer coaching and an advanced review of the two grade-level versions of the program: The Key Comprehension Routine Grades 4-12 and The Key Comprehension Routine Grades K-3. This is an asynchronous and facilitated course (see below for details).
Upon completion, you will be prepared to provide coaching. Please note: you will not be qualified to present formal initial training.
Because of the advanced nature of the course content, completion of initial teacher training for The Key Comprehension Routine is a prerequisite. If you have not taken this initial training, see the options below:
- Take an online Key Comprehension Routine teacher training course. This is the easiest option for individuals who cannot participate in the two options below. You can take the Grades 4-12 version (click here for more information) or the Grades K-3 version (click here for more information). When you register for these courses, you will be sent the related training book.
- Participate in a 10-12 hour face-to-face training delivered by a Keys to Literacy Trainer (Click here for more information)
- Participate in a hybrid-online training delivered by a licensed Keys to Literacy Level I Trainer in your district (Click here for more information)
At the start of this coach course, you will be asked to provide information about when you completed initial training.
Goals for Coach Training
Here are the main goals for your coach training:
- Help you understand and define your role as a Keys to Literacy peer coach
- Provide peer coaching techniques and resources
- Provide suggestions for promoting implementation in your building
- Review the strategies and instructional practices from The Key Comprehension Routine
- Help you become a local “expert” in the program so you will feel confident helping teachers with implementation
The course is asynchronous, which means you can log on and off multiple times to complete the course assignments at your own pace.
As with all online coursework, you are responsible for much of your learning. We suggest you develop a plan and schedule for completing the course modules in order to manage your time and pace yourself. Watch and read all course materials so you do not miss any important information, and be sure to complete all activities.
The course is facilitated, which means you will communicate with a Keys to Literacy Trainer using email. You will submit course assignments and receive feedback from the Trainer, who will also be available to answer any questions you may have about being a Keys to Literacy coach. Once you enroll in the course, your trainer will contact you via email to develop a course completion and communication plan.
Partner With Other Peer Coaches
To get the most out of this course, and to build support for yourself when you start coaching, we highly recommend that you partner with at least one other person in your school or district to become Keys to Literacy coaches at the same time. Some of the assignment pages include suggestions for sharing your activity responses and having discussions with these partners.
The course will reference content from the training books used in initial training for The Key Comprehension Routine. Make sure you have your copy from your initial teacher training available while completing this course. If you will only be coaching teachers in grades 4-12, you will only need The Key Comprehension Routine Grades 4-12 training book. Likewise if you are only coaching teachers in grades K-3 you will only need The Key Comprehension Routine Grades K-3 training book. However, if you are coaching teachers across these grade levels, you will need both books. Click here to order a teacher training book.